Well, I’ve been doing a bit of tongue and grooving over here while you weren’t looking. Uhuh! Wow – that sounds as if it would be so much more fun.
Although actually it was quite fun. Just in a different sort of way. This is the lower half of the wall that I had glazed in this post:
One of the things I consistently love in photos of interiors, is moulding, panelling and wainscoting. So, inspired by photos, and encouraged by my (architect) sister that you really can just install this in any house regardless of its period, I’m going for it.
I had all the wood cut for me at the wood yard (it was so cheap and quick – far easier than doing it myself, even with my drop saw). So all that I had to do was slot it together and attach it to the wall. I used Liquid Nails for this.
At this point in the process I had one of my ‘what the bleep am I doing??” moments. Usual for me at this point in a project – where I’ve put in a load of work, and because it isn’t finished, it looks terrible. And then I doubt my vision. But I’ve learned to plough on and keep faith with myself. But it doesn’t make it any less awful.
I put nosing along the top and skirting along the bottom.
I mitred the nosing and skirting into the corners and then masked off my glazed wall (which is virtually impossible to touch up) to protect it before priming.
Boy does it look terrible and cheap and tacky at this point. I was really gritting my teeth.
Once primed you can also see that it doesn’t look good enough where the nosing sits on the tongue and groove (or beadboard as I believe it’s called in the US) – so I got some beading to cover this up.
What a great invention beading is!
With the nosing and some paint it’s starting to look better. You can see where I cut out holes to allow the wall plugs to be re-attached. Phew – feeling better now. That unpainted pine really looked nasty.
Now I love the way the panelling looks against the colour washed wall. It immediately adds character to a house that frankly, has been lacking it!
I’m happy with how the room is progressing. It’s been a lot of work – but is worth it.
For the final reveal you’ll have to wait: you’ve seen the colour washing, the panelling, the table and chairs – but I have a few more finishing touches to put in place before I can show you the transformation! Stay tuned! And keep those comments coming. They are really encouraging when I hit the mid-project doldrums.
One of the things I’m doing next is going to be to tackle the bland and featureless ceiling…. And see if I can add character without making it look cheesy. You can be the judge….